Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cheap Eats: La Fonda Restaurante

When I'm in La Paz there's usually a check list of errands that need to be accomplished and I need to remember to stop and take the time to enjoy a meal. One convenient and favorite stop for breakfast is La Fonda located on the corner of Bravo & Revolución. I usually like to order the chilaquiles with chicken and salsa verde, but this time I opted for the house specialty which is Nopal (cactus) and Cheese Omelette with their house Pepin Sauce, which is reduction of roasted tomatoes and peppers. The meal was served with refried beans and container of hot corn tortillias. With coffee and fresh O.J. the check came to $65 pesos. The mornings head lines read, "Downtown La Paz in Crises."
With the opening of mega stores on the outskirts of town such as Walmart and Sam's club, the downtown merchants are suffering for business.

The downtown did seem quiet for a Saturday, but it was only 9 a.m.
The restaurant was empty when I first arrived. By the time I left a group of gentleman ranchers filled up the outdoor dining area. The centro and old mercado are a few blocks away and will head in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment